Hyper Light Drifter
Hyper Light Drifter from Heart Machine is a 2D Action RPG in the vein of the best 8-bit and 16-bit classics, with modernized mechanics and designs on a much grander scale.
The setting is dark and fantastic, with giant forests to navigate, huge floating structures to explore, deep crumbling ruins to loot, massive throngs of enemies to rend, and behemoths both flesh and mechanical to overcome. A beautiful game, forging color with the dark and eerie wastes and intimidating landscapes. Gameplay has been compared to the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo, evolved: lightning fast combat, more mobility, an array of tactical options, more numerous and intelligent enemies, and a larger world with a twisted past to do it all in.
- Rip through enemies with responsive, fun combat; engaging and brutal. Upgrade weapons, discover new equipment and trek deeper than ever.
- Traverse a dark, detailed and interconnected world with alternate paths and secret loot. From characters to background elements, everything is lovingly crafted.
- A challenge - The game is accessible and easy to pick up, but difficult to master and complete; enemies and hazards become more vicious and numerous, so players must use clever tactics to avoid death.
Core Mechanics[edit | edit source]
- Primary weapon - Composed of phase shifted Hard Light (also known as Solid Light), your sword acts as the primary means of offense; it's quick, brutal, and can slash through most anything. Best of all it never runs low on energy.
- Sprite Companion - An indispensable personalized drone, the Sprite manages your inventory virtually, maintains your shields, seeks out hidden paths and lights the way in the darkest of times. Functionality may be expanded with new modules.
- Secondary items - You'll come across a variety of advanced weaponry, items and gear throughout your travels; Light Rail Pistols, Heavy Rifles, various hi-power explosives and enemy-aware Seeker Drones. All of these are powered by limited batteries, found scattered throughout the world.
- Defense System - A rechargeable Hard Light Diamond shield which offers total protection from attacks for a short burst of time. If timed correctly projectiles can be reflected back at enemies for extra damage. Can be upgraded to extend duration.
- Dash Module - Multi-use gear that enables a triple speed dash; can be used to evade attacks, cut across gaps and chasms, break through certain blocks and rubble and even stun enemies.
FAQ[edit | edit source]
- Q: What platforms will this be on?
- A: Currently Hyper Light Drifter is planned for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. I am working on Steam support. PS4 and Vita are a-go! Possibly others - if the funds will allow it by the end of the campaign.
- Q: Will this have native controller support on PC?
- A: Yes indeed! The game is designed with a controller in mind, though is playable without.
- Q: What about Wii U/Xbox One?
- A: Looking into these options; requires some significant effort to place on all the platforms.
- Q: How will picking a version work?
- A: I'll send a survey out after the Kickstarter and you can tell me exactly what platform(s) you want keys for, depending on your tier.
- Q: Will the levels be linear, hub based, open for exploration?
- A: The world is designed to be open for exploration with entry into enclosed Temples and Dungeons. There will be a central hub to return to.
- Q: Will there be puzzles or will the game be mostly combat focused?
- A: The game will have some puzzle elements throughout.
- Q: Is this on Steam Greenlight?
- A: Yes! Steam Greenlight page
- Q: Will the campaign coop be online and/or couch coop?
- A: For right now just local co-op
- Q: Will backers that want PS4/Vita be receiving actual keys for that system?
- A: Yes, this is what I've been able to determine from what Sony has said.
- Q: Will the console ports be receiving the KS exclusive side quest?
- A: Yes! I may just include it in all versions to keep things simple.
- Q: Will the game be coming to EU PSN? Will it be translated in other languages (French)?
- A: Working towards an EU release, though it may be later down the line. It would have translations.
- Q: Is an iOS/Android port possible?
- A: Possible but this would be another down the line item to approach as touch is fairly different then the controller-centric play.
- Q: Will all versions of the game have multiplayer (Vita)?
- A: Yes. Vita will have local AdHoc.